The 2022/23 season was another successful season with 2 senior teams, 10 T20 teams, 39 junior teams and 70 yellow caps kids.
As mentioned in previous reports, success of a club this size doesn’t come by accident and without the huge number of voluntary hours the committee have put into the club it wouldn’t have been possible and so I would like to start with a big thank you to the whole committee.
I would also like to say a special thanks and welcome to the following people:
- Paul Rugg, for all the work you have done as the chairman. Ruggy, I know you put in a huge number of hours and organising our constitution and driving us to get accredited as a society this year will set us up well for the future, so thanks.
- Stu Rooney, the junior club committee, and the section leaders, for the amazing work you have done again this year. Organising this many junior teams is a massive job and I am delighted to see all your hard work paying off with the continued growth and success of the junior club, without your work, our kids can’t play cricket.
- Jeremy Benton, Charlie Robson and Paul Rugg for all the hours you have put into organising the senior teams again this year, great work.
- To Jeremy Benton and the big group of people that helped make the yellow caps programme tick and be successful again this year, without you our youngest players would have missed out on cricket.
- Bruce Agnew and Alan Gilmour for looking after and preparing the pitches and grounds each week. From the stories I hear from the players, we now have one of, if not the best club ground in Canterbury.
- Our Volunteers/Parents/Coaches and Helpers. You continue to step up each year and the passion and hours you give to the club and in particular the children is amazing. Thank you, it is appreciated!!
- I would like to recognise and acknowledge Sarah Parker who has recently resigned as our club administrator due to her increased commitments. Sarah, thank you for all the work you have done over the last year and good luck with your future cricket endeavours.
- To the players, I hope you have enjoyed your season and I look forward to seeing you all back again next season.
- To all our club sponsors big and small. It is not possible to run a club of this size without the generous contribution you all provide, we truly value your help and support.
- Finally, I would also like to take a minute to recognise and acknowledge Ross Clarke and Martin Welford, who resigned from the committee at the end of the season. Gentlemen, thank you for all the hours you have put into the club over a huge number of years. Without your commitment, hours of work and shear passion for the club, we would not be in the position we are today. Thanks again.
Now for a few of the highlights of the 22/23 season:
- T20 success – Congratulation to the Men’s Senior team who won the T20 competition. It is great to have a trophy in the cabinet again and I am sure it is one of many to come.
- Team performances – It was great to see so many of the teams perform well in their respective grades again this year and to also see several current and ex-players go on to higher honours. Well done all.
- Junior club prizing giving – It was great to be able to reinstate the junior prizing giving this year. It is always nice to see the smiles on the kids faces when they receive an award or certificate in front of their friends and family. I look forward to doing in again this season.
- Senior club prize giving – This was held at the Silver dollar and was well attended by senior players from all grades. Thanks to Paul Rugg and Jeremy Benton for organising on behalf of the club.
- Quiz night – It was great to get a few people along to the Silver Dollar for a quiz in July. Thanks to Jermey and everyone involved in organising this, it was a great night and helped raise a good amount of money for the club.
Finally, I am happy to report, the club’s future continues to look very strong. We are still in a strong position financially; have a growing and knowledgeable committee and our playing numbers continue to stay very strong. I am really looking forward to another successful season in 2023/2024.
Jared McGregor Weedons Cricket Club President
Weedons Cricket Club would like to thank the following sponsors who kindly assist our club:
Premier Men’s Sponsors
- Selwyn Print
- Mota Mova
- Harmans Lawyers
- Moa Brewing Co
- Rossendale Winery
- Motus Health
- Dynasty Sport
- Child Cancer Foundation - Charity